Monday, March 4, 2013

True Life: We just recieved orders to Alaska!

Jarrett and I at his Basic Training Graduation.
We were two little eighteen year olds with no clue about the future.
We didn't even have a clue if our relationship would even last
everything that we were about to put it through.
Jarrett and I at his ALS Graduation.
Here we were twenty four with a little bit more of an idea on our future.
Here we had learned a lot about life: how to be in a marriage, how to live on our own, how to accept responsibility for many many things, how to take matters into our own hands, how to rely on one another during hard times and pretty much, how to grow up. In short, we learned.
 
Yes! You saw the title to this post right. On Friday, Jarrett received the e-mail that would change both of our lives forever. We're being sent to Alaska and we have to be there by August. Whew! My heart is still pounding hard trying to deal with the news. Jarrett and I have had countless conversations about the fact that we could be transferred at any minute. I mean, that is the military for ya! We have also had many conversations with friends and family about the matter trying to prepare them as well. Jarrett and I knew it would be happening soon, we just didn't realize just how soon. Jarrett is climbing the ranks in the Air force, plus Langley AFB has been his only duty station since he enlisted, so we knew this was coming. Since he became Staff Sergeant, I have been thinking and thinking to myself about how I would handle the news of us receiving orders. Would I freak out? Would I cry hysterically? Would I be happy or sad? Would I be mad at the military?
 
Although my heart did start pounding uncontrollably, I didn't freak out like I had thought. I did, however, repeat "OMG" ten thousand times, but other than that I didn't freak out too bad. The emotion that came over me was happiness, not sadness. Jarrett and I have always wanted to go to Alaska. We are an outdoorsy couple and we love adventure together. Although many people would never want to live there, we do. We have always talked about the places that we wouldn't mind living and Alaska was number one on the list. It is not such a terrible thing that some people make it out to be. We are happy with the news. To us, the only negative to this move is being far away from our family and friends.
 
Jarrett and I have been so incredibly blessed and lucky to have been stationed only three hours from our family and friends. Although it was hard for me to transition into the move to Virginia, as bad as this sounds, it was the best thing in the world for me to move away from my family and friends. Not because I needed to be away from them, but because the move made me grow up a lot faster than I had planned. I went from a naive girl to an Air force wife. I went from being a young girl in college to a woman, a wife and an adult. I had a husband, a puppy and a household to take care of. I didn't need to rely on my mommy or daddy anymore. I had to take everything that my parents had taught me and utilize it in my life. I had to make plans for my life and our life together as a military couple. I had to be strong, hating the fact that I would not be living in the same city as my family and friends anymore. I had to. This was my new life with my husband. This was what it entailed.
 
Now I have to do it again, but be even stronger about everything. I have to plan. I am such a planner. Ever since I was a little girl I was planning. Planning for this and planning for that. When I moved to Virginia, I immediately developed a life plan for myself and my life with Jarrett. Here is the problem with planning too much and too far in advance, sometimes your plans do not work or do not work the way you had originally planned. A lot of things that I had planned to do once I got to Virginia did not happen. A lot of the things that I did plan actually did happen though. I cannot sit here and say that I was completely unfortunate in Virginia because I was not. I was blessed by living here and I'll be blessed by moving to Alaska. All of the things that I was not able to accomplish here, I'll still be able to do them, just in a different state. I choose to look at this move as a huge blessing and huge answer to a lot of my prayers. I choose to be strong for myself, my husband, my family and my friends.
 
Proverbs 31:25-31 (New Living Translation)
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future. 26 When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions. 27 She carefully watches all that goes on in her household and does not have to bear the consequences of laziness. 28 Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: 29 "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!" 30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the LORD will be greatly praised. 31 Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.
So, stay tuned for our move and journey to Alaska in the middle of July! It will definitely be something to blog about! :)
 
Katie<3

1 comment:

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing what you have to say, so comment away! You can also reach me through e-mail @ khayman27@gmail.com! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...